Objects in Space is one of my favourite Firefly episodes and I think it is a fitting (if early) end to the series. For the first time it takes a deep dive into Rivers psyche and gives us a better understand of a character that's always been a little diffuse. I have to admit that I didn't really like River the first time I watched Firefly, it wasn't that I disliked her, but I always felt she was a little bland and I always cared more for the other characters.
That was until Objects in Space. When I've re-watched the series later I will always find more details about River I missed the first time around and it was Objects in Space that gave me a deeper and better understanding of her. And now she is one of my favorite characters. Through this episode we gain a higher understanding of River and the things she can accomplish through a compelling mystery and one of the shows most interesting villains.
I especially love the opening sequence with River moving through the ship and the way we can see everyones feelings flowing through her. The character's 'outtakes' are really compelling. Simon's is heartbreaking, Brook's are really creepy and Jayne's is actually pretty nice and could be counted as a apology, even if it is a Jayne kind of apology. The colors and camera moment is also really nice, and that extends through the entire episode.
The only thing I don't like is the disturbing lack of Jayne. I can understand that he's not that important for the narrative in this one, but I miss him! That said I think it was clever to bring in the bit were he goes back to sleep. For a moment there you think they have one more secret weapon, but then no. I also think it's in character for River to not ask him for help, she doesn't trust him yet after Ariel (but the not-so-secret Jayne/River shipper in me knows she will :P).
- River standing on the railing trying to hear what is being said about her.
- "It's the popular opinion" This. And actually that whole sequence. River looks like a little child in her suit.
- The autumn leaves in the cargo bay. A great visual, and then the transition to everyone panicking around her.
- "Well, my sister's a ship. We had a complicated childhood."
- "She understands. She doesn't comprehend." These lines is perfect for River, they sum her up in five words, and (again) I'm really glad we finally got a River episode.
- "Am I a lion? I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well though, I have a mighty roar." - Actually, the entire Jubal Early was fantastic! The only thing I don't like is that he made Simon take on a shirt.
- As I said, not much Jayne in this one, but he got some great one-liners, my favorite: "She's in Congress?"